Saturday, August 31, 2013

Kayaking in Tigre

Tigre…the city of many streams/rivers…the place with water taxis…and my Saturday’s destination. Even a good portion of my Liquid Bar family came along which was great because I finally didn’t travel alone. LOL!

With my phone’s earsplitting wakeup call, I was ready to go by 8 am. The plan was to have our group of six meet at the estacion lisandro de la torre to take the Mitre Tren to Tigre. With a travel time of about an hour and a cost of $1.80 pesos, I was able to experience my first commuter train ride.

Grabbing a quick bite for breakfast, we met up with Santi, a friend of Caroline’s, who showed us around the city.

Having the ambition to kayak/canoe in the delta, we spent quite some time in the morning trying to find a guide. I guess it would have been better if we had that lined up beforehand, but we still managed to find one after a bit. As with any group decision comes indecisiveness, and that surly wasn’t absent from our group. LOL!

Once we had the adventure booked we made our way along the river and wasted some time eating hamburgers along the bank.

Meeting up with our tour guide in the train station we made our way to grab a water taxi. I like to think of it as a Buenos Aires bus, stopping at docks picking people up and dropping them off. The ride showed us a great deal of the delta and how it was living on the islands. I had no clue there were market boats which were like floating supermarkets; actually kind of cool!

Finally making it to the kayaking area, we had a short lesson and we departed. We couldn’t have asked for nicer weather. If the water temperatures were a bit warmer we would have gone for a swim…well, at least I would have. LOL! The air was remarkably fresh and wildlife was a little sparse but we had the opportunity to see several species of birds.


It was time for supper when we arrived back in Buenos Aires. Samantha, Sarah, Jonas, and I decided to catch a bite to eat at a parrilla in Palermo Soho. Ordering four rib-eye steaks, two sides, and a bottle of wine, our meal was equivalent to $50 US dollars. Despite having to send three of the steaks back to the grill, when they came back they were grilled to perfection! I couldn’t have asked for a better
Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment