Saturday, August 24, 2013

San Antonio de Areco...Rural Life!

Wow! A 5:45 am alarm; I haven’t heard one of those since I left Iowa.

Snoozing my alarm for 10 minutes, I finally pried myself out of bed. Luckily I packed my backpack last night or I would have surly forgot something; wait, I did…I still forgot my water bottle.

I made it to the Retiro bus station in perfect time because I had to spend a few minutes trying to find my bus. The Retiro bus station is huge, and I would say it has over 100 loading spots.

With this being my first charter service in Argentina, I didn’t know what to expect but I will say I was impressed. The seats reclined to around 140 degrees and each seat had decent leg rests. My plan was to stay up and soak in the scenery of rural Argentina but that only lasted the first ½ of the trip because I was so tired and the bus seats were rather comfortable leading to a little siesta for the last 1/2.

At 9:00 am, I got my first glimpse of San Antonio de Areco and the Nebraska style of crop land. Walking a few blocks through the town to the city center it reminded me of a small rural Texas town with Spanish influence; imagine the Alamo in San Antonio.

The weather was a bit chilly at 9 am and not a lot of places were open, so I decided to waste some time in a local café. Sipping on some tea in the warm sunlight coming from the window, I read several chapters of a book one of my professors wrote about her sailing trip. It didn't take long until I was down to only my t-shirt because I was practically sweating due to the warm sun beating down on me through the window, but it was great! I just killed two hours of 12 hour stay in San Antonio de Areco. LOL!

With the town being sort of a tourist destination, little shops were everywhere. My first and most enjoyable stop was to H&H Garrett. Named simply after twin sister crafters, Helen & Heather Garrett, all of the items in the shop were from locals or people the Garrett sisters knew.

I had a great conversation with Heather Garrett, and she even shared her mate with me which is a common gesture in Argentina. We talked about politics and cultural differences for a bit, followed by some stories about her times in Australia. The charming hats she sells in her shop are handcrafted by both of sisters, and are influenced by her time in Australia. Observing the hat, you could just see the amazing craftsmanship throughout the whole product. (Check out her shop's Facebook page by clicking here.)

After visiting a few more shops, I made my way across Argentina’s first toll bridge crossing the Areco River which was pink in color and very picturesque. Over the bridge and through Areco, to the gaucho museum I go; because that’s a must see museum and best of all it was free.

Being unfamiliar with the siesta hour shops normally take in the afternoon around 2 or 3 pm, it was a good thing I brought some crackers along because everyplace was closed. Finding a spot on the bank of the Areco River, I sat down and read some more of the book I brought along.

I was then greeted by "Mooch," my  four legged friend who appeared out of nowhere while I munched on my crackers. One thing I noticed was San Antonio de Areco had its fair share of stray dogs; at least they were friendly.

The rest of my day was spent visiting more shops and museums, until 7pm came around and I was hungry for supper. Entering this restaurant along the main square, I found a table and sat down. Looking over the menu I noticed asado (short ribs) sounded very appealing. When the waitress arrived to take my order she said the kitchen doesn’t open until 8pm. Making myself comfortable and connecting to their wifi, I was determined to have those ribs.

Finishing the last of my succulent ribs it was time to catch my bus. Immediately sitting in the comfortable bus seat numbered 35, I was out like a rock only to be awakened by the bus coming to a jerking halt in Buenos Aires. It was 12:30 am before my head could feel the comfort of my plush pillow. Home at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment