Thursday, July 18, 2013

You Can Call Me "Lalo"

Going on day 4 without that delicious, caffeinated, brown colored liquid, I was about to break down and stop at a Kiosco to grab me a morning cup of it. Luckly, Nora was back in town, and because she is a coffee enthusiast having no coffee in the office would never fly.

One of the first conversations we had at the office was a discussion about how desperately in need we were for some coffee. With that said, I was headed out that door to grab some beans from the nearest Starbucks. (About 10 blocks away.)

 Today was rather frigid; definitely not like Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s weather. I would like to say temps barely reached 55F; however, this didn’t stop me from making that Starbucks trip.

Grabbing a bag of Columbian medium roast beans, one pan de queso ball for Rachael, and a dulce de leche late for myself, I was out the door on my way back to the office.  The only thing different was I had a new nickname given to me by the Barista…“Lean.”

One thing I’ve noticed about people in Latin America is they have a hard time pronouncing “Lance.” I typically have to say my name several times before I prematurely assume they have it correct.

A prime example comes from today’s Starbucks run. According to my cup, “Lean” kind of sounds like “Lance,” in a messed up sort of way. LOL!



Another nickname was given to me by two girls Nico and I met at La Bomba. They were having a hard time saying my name, so the three of them dubbed me “Lalo” for the evening. That has to be one of the most unique nicknames I’ve heard in a long time! (Friends back home: Since you are not Latin American and can say my name flawlessly, I’m still “Lance” to you. LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment