Saturday, July 20, 2013

Feliz Dia Del Amigos!


In Argentina and several other South American countries, the 20th of July is observed as Feliz Dia del Amigos or Friend’s Day. This holiday is all about gathering with your friends to hang out so that’s what I did.

Unsure what the night would bring, I didn’t make my way to the La Rural Exposition. I plan to hit that up a few times during the upcoming week hoping to score some asado food because after all it is Argentina’s closet thing to the Iowa State Fair. LOL!

With the day full of question marks, I decided to head to the store to grab some ingredients so I could cook. I decided to make a rice dish with a homemade meat sauce…and it was amazing! Plus, I will be eating it for a while because I made a good amount.

Deciding to hit up the 6:30 pm free concert at the Law School, I started to make my way there around 5 pm because I was traveling by foot. I arrived a little earlier than expected so I visited the flower sculpture which is adjacent to the venue. It is a magnificent piece of art.

Standing in line waiting for the doors to open for the concert, I ran into two of the nicest retired New Yorkers I’ve ever met; Luisita and Carlitos (AKA Jim). Both had a great sense of humor, and after a very informative conversation, we sat together in the auditorium to watch the performance. Little did we know what the program was about to surprise us with.

The last piece in the program was a Mozart concerto with soloist Venancio Rius Marti, an internationally renowned Spaniard clarinetist. Just listen and watch this clip from the performance, and remember…this was a FREE concert!


After the concert we made our way to the colectivo 67 stop, and little behold I ran into my German/Argentinean “Betty White!” LOL! Finding out Jim and Luisita live rather close to me, we vowed to each other to stay in touch and meet up again, and I will keep that promise because they are amazing people!

Back at my apartment, my evening plans were starting to solidify. Mario, Maurice, and Elizabeth were going to meet at my place and pregame before heading to Club 69. It was a little after 1 am when we started pregamming, and a little after 2 am before we hailed a cab to take us to the club.

The club was similar to something you would see in Vegas, but it was a great time! Mario was also able to score us VIP passes for free, and we danced all the way until 6 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment