Saturday, July 27, 2013

La Rural

Needing a few hours of recovery from a great Friday evening, I wasn’t ready to start my Saturday until noon.

With time running out to see the 2013 La Rural Exposition, today was going to be the day. After paying an entrance fee of only 35 pesos, I was on the grounds. I saw poultry, rabbits, cows, pigs, horses, and even chinchillas; finally, a slight feel/smell of rural life in this massive city.


Unlike the Iowa State Fair, this is mainly a breeders/farm show, so you have the best of everything agricultural Argentina has to offer. When looking at the farm machinery, John deer was the only brand I was familiar with; all the others were aliens to me.
I was able to make my way through the masses of people and catch a glimpse of a show happening in the arena! It was very entertaining; on horseback, groups of three gauchos (aka the Argentine farmer) would separate three specific cows from a herd. The trio who did that the quickest was declared the winner.

Immediately after La Rural I went to the free concert near Recoleta again. I really like that venue; obviously, because I’ve been there 3 weeks in a row. The conductor was only 27 and he was extremely entertaining and fun to watch. He will definitely go places as he gets older. I also meet up with my friends, Jim and Llewelyn.
After the concert was over, all three of us caught a ride on the 67 colectivo back to our neighborhood in Palermo. They invited me over to chat over some glasses of wine and how could I resist; they are amazing people. Drinking wine at their place until 11:00 while hearing some fascinating stories it was time for me to head back to my home and declare it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment