Sunday, July 7, 2013

The New View OF Buenos Aires

Meeting up with Nico, the friend from Rio Cuarto, at 8 am meant it was the second day I had to set my alarm since I arrived in Buenos Aires. Nico was a great resource who answered a lot of my questions about Argentina, and he was traveling to the city to study some of the various architecture styles located here. With my couchsurfer mentality and strong belief in the program, I offered him some accommodation; in exchange for some lessons of Spanish, Truco, empanada making, and of course being my personal translator. LOL!

Before the exploration started, we ended up watching some of the Wimbledon Men’s final, where Andy Murray was victorious. Once the match was completed, we made our way to the Recoleta area.

On the way, we went into the Palermo Alto shopping center. It was a cool place with a lot of designer stores and specialty shops. I visited a few stores just to get a feel of the Argentinean shopping culture. Seeing a classic sight from home is always comforting…good ol’ KFC and Wendys. LOL!

Done with the mall, we walked to the Recoleta Cemetery.  I know this was a redundant trip, but since I went there with an Argentinean it was a whole new experience. Nico was able to point out several individuals who were very important to the development of Argentina.

We then made a stop next door to the St. Paul Cathedral, one of Recoleta’s oldest buildings built in the 1700s. We found out that the church was build using many handmade, 4 kilo bricks; that’s a massive brick!

Walking everywhere wears people out, plus the cold breeze wasn’t a helpful factor. Tired and cold, we made our way back to my place and played Truco. (More like I attempted to play Truco) Having our supper at midnight, I was ready to call it a day. Hopefully giving up some of my pillows will make Nico’s couch stay a bit more comfortable. LOL!


No comments:

Post a Comment