Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Buenos Aires Studio

The first night in my apartment was excellent for a number of reasons; one being my mattress was actually soft. With a good night’s rest, I was energized for what my Sunday was about to bring.

I decided to head to the Recoleta feria again, but this time I wanted to take my time and actually look at the artisan items in detail. When I took my time I noticed a lot of items I didn't see the first time; 75% of the jewelry items where done in silver containing polished stones, many paintings were done in watercolor and acrylic, anything leather from belts to purses, and knitted scarfs.


Taking my time, I ran across this GIGANTIC GOMERO TREE. The locals have dubbed this rubber tree the “Gran Gomero” for obvious reasons. Planted back in 1791 by the person who owned the land at the time, it now has a width of over 50 meters, or 165 feet.

Still in Recoleta, I heard of this popular John Lennon gallery on show in the Recoleta Cultural Center. Walking into the gallery, my eyes scanned a room containing many 3x4’ photographs of John Lennon. All told the story of his life. I now see why they ended up holding it back for another week.

Instead of walking back to my place, I ended up taking the colectivo 95 which dropped me off at Plaza Italia. Next to the plaza sits La Rural…which I guess is a much smaller version of the Iowa State Fair Grounds. Like MUCH smaller; maybe one convention center, one stable, and one show rink. In late July, they will have this big expo, and the best part is…it’s essentially in my backyard.

Back at the studio, I made a run to get stuff to make cheese soup for supper. I even went to the weight room; something I haven’t been able to do since I came here. It felt like home.

Now what I’m sure you all have been waiting for…pictures of my place. Instead of bulking  up the post with images like I did with Vera’s house. I decided to give a virtual tour…lucky you! LOL! (If you have trouble viewing the video, let me know and I will give you a link to where I found the apartment. Also, I'm planning to shave tonight. LOL!)


I will end my evening having another celebration drink of Fernet Menta which is the mint version of Fernet. I suppose I will also try to jam in a few more lessons of Duolingo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment