Monday, June 3, 2013

Taking the Subte (Subway)



I’m kind of getting use to this waking up naturally thing. Today, I was up at 9 am again because I didn’t have to be at work until noon. It’s nice; you don’t have the abrupt, repetitive, annoying wake-up alarm blaring in your ear just to snooze it for another 5 minutes. LOL. However, every morning since I’ve been here there has been this really loud whistling happening outside my window. I want to say it is a parrot because it happens around 9 am and I swear I heard another noise with bird-like characteristics. I will have to ask my host in the morning when I see her again.

Before I did anything today, I had to figure out how to get to ByTArgentina, so I could pay June’s rent. Whipping out my trusty map I noticed it was quite far from where I was living, so I decided taking the Subte (subway) was my best and cheapest option. Note: this would be a first-time experience for me! Out the door, I walk with a mission to ride the subte.

Buenos Aires Subte D Line
When I reached Avenida Santa Fe, I saw those steps that lead to the city’s basement…the subway system. Not knowing what to expect I prepared myself for the worst. Stepping up to the boleteria (ticket office) I purchased a pass for dos viajes (2 trips), there and back. Catching my first glimpse of the subte, my initial thoughts were this isn't so bad. It wasn’t crowded and was fairly up- kept.

Once my rent was safely deposited, I made my way back to my house to pack up my computadora (computer) and headed to Uplifted (my employer) which is in walking distance from where I live. After ringing the white intercom buzzer I was greeted by Rachael, the one who found and interviewed me for the position. After a brief tour of the small office...
I was given a quick overview of the company, our clients, and what I would be doing. All of this will get explained in further detail during some later posts.

I also met some of the others I will be working with; Nora, the head marketing guru…Rachael, a marketing manager…Kelly, an intern from AZ who is working on an Masters of International Business degree…and Anish, one of the programmers. Everyone has American ties and speaks fluent English…what a relief!

Oh yea, for lunch I ordered through a handy delivery site called buenosairesdelivery.com. Check them out! This would work perfectly in Des Moines… here’s a business idea Des Moines friends. LOL.

Did You Know? A trip on the subte costs AR$ 2.50 one way; equivalent to around US$0.50. According to Wander-Argentina.com, “The subte’s fare increased 127% in January 2012. Since the price rise, passenger numbers have dropped by an average of 200,000 per working day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment