Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's City Life


I woke up to the familiar sounds of knocking on my door. It was Vera and she wanted to show a prospective renter my humble abode. With definite bedhead, the “morning daze”, and still in my pajamas I’m sure I was a sight to see. 15 seconds of glancing around doing 360s, I believe the renter was pleased with what she saw and accepted the place.

Showered and on my way to work, little did I know about the story I was about to be told. Logging on my computer and making coffee is all routine, but getting a Google Talk message in the morning from Rachael isn’t. She wanted to Skype quick.

She mentioned she would be working from home today and gave me my day's tasks because her plan was to move into Nora’s place at 3pm, and for the next 2.5 weeks she will be taking care of Dante while Nora is on vacation. Then, she told me a story from last night when Nora, Dante, and Her were walking home. Nora was almost mugged by some drugged-out criminal, but luckily they fought back and nothing was taken. Other pedestrians came to the rescue as well; it just goes to show you there is still some good in society today. A taxi driver who saw the incident followed the man and called the police. The criminal was arrested and taken to jail.

FB Photo: Nora
However, there is always a bad side to a heroic story. Dante had to be taken to the vet because during the struggle, the guy stepped on Dante’s leg and fractured it. He now has a cast to wear until it heals. This type of incident happens every day in big populous cities. It’s not that Buenos Aires is unsafe; it’s city life.

Once I arrived home, I walked straight into the kitchen and made some pasta for supper because I had some sauce left over. I also decided not to hit up Liquid Bar tonight because I wanted to work on my Spanish. I watched the movie “Blood Diamond” in Spanish with Spanish subtitles hoping to pick up a few new words. I also completed a few new courses on Duolingo. Their concept is fairly similar to Rosetta Stone’s, and best of all it’s free. I’m making it my goal to complete the entire program by the end of my internship while taking some individual classes once I find a teacher.

1 comment: