Sunday, June 9, 2013

The City's Oldest Barrio


Calle Defensa in San Telmo
Visiting the Buenos Aires barrio (neighborhood) of San Telmo was today’s objective.  Many of San Telmo’s streets still contain their 17th century cobblestone and are lined with colonial style buildings. Engulfed with countless antique shops, this barrio is home to Buenos Aires’s most popular Sunday feria. It attracts tourists from all over the world; in fact, I heard many English conversations while I walked down Defensa Street.  San Telmo contains the heart of the tango, as there are many tango parlors in the neighborhood.


San Telmo Feria
Tango in San Telmo
This neighborhood is a distance from Palermo, so I had to take the subte and even make a few line connections. Once I reached the San Juan station, I just had to follow the movement of the crowd because you know we were all going to the same area. Finally, I reached Plaza Dorrego and it was time to start browsing the MANY vendors. Out of the three ferias I’ve been to thus far, San Telmo's one would have to be ranked number one. On a side note, if you were a collector of flatware, you would be in heaven because there was SO much of it.

Casa Rosada
Not knowing where I was or where the next subte station was, I decided to keep moving in one direction. I finally ended up in the Plaza de Mayo, the hub of political activity and home to the Casa Rosada (Pink House). Since it wasn’t my intentions to be here until a later time, I won’t go into depth about what I saw.

Back in Palermo, I decided to stop at Jumbo and grab a some food items…basically a few sweet pastries. LOL! The day was finished off with a visit to a helado shop for some ice cream; dulce de leche  helado to be more specific. Oh! I can’t forget to mention the free fernet and coke sample I got from Jumbo; I’m starting to love that place more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment