Friday, June 21, 2013

Sloppy Joes...The Argentinean Way

Happy “Bridge” Holiday! Yep, you heard correctly. Today was another Argentinean “holiday.” From what I understand, since Flag Day fell on Thursday they used Friday to “bridge” the holiday to the weekend making it a 4 day holiday weekend; maybe The States should think about this concept. LOL! Another day off for me!

Nothing too exciting happened on this very nice brisk sunny day. I watched a few more Netflix episodes after waking up around 11am again. On the bright side, I did feel the urge to cook something instead of eating out…so I did just that.

In the morning I made jello, except I had to be resourceful because I couldn’t find a liter measuring cup. Searching every cupboard in the kitchen, I finally found something I could use. It was an empty 950ml liquor bottle…eureka, I found my measuring utensil!

Jello made and in the fridge preparing to set, I contemplated what I should have with my jello. Thinking…thinking….AHA! Sloppy Joes. You don’t have to tell me, I know my cravings are strange. LOL! So it was off to the store I went.

On my way, I kept thinking about switching up the sloppy joe recipe and making an Argentinean version…sloppy joe tostado melts. Gathering the ingredients needed from an local supermarket it was time to head home.

When I got back it wasn’t time to start supper, so I did some work prepping the World Food Prize transportation shell for this year’s event. While working on this, I also went though my email accounts purging them of old business. After a few hours of working on the computer, it was time to start dinner.

As I mentioned before the stove is gas, but it doesn’t have its own starter so I had to start the burners with a match. Those were easy, but lighting the baking portion of the oven took some time to figure out because I didn’t want to burn the place down. After all, I have the house to myself this weekend.

Behold, jello and sloppy joe tostado melts…maybe not a meal fit for a king, but it was actually pretty tasty. 

Tomorrow will be laundry day. The washer in the house uses powder detergent, so I had to ask Vanesa how to properly use it before she left. I guess I will report how it goes tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment