Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Dreaded Goodbye

My host: Vera
My first Argentinean goodbye was said today to one of the nicest individuals I have met in Buenos Aires thus far; Vera Ruy. 

After my morning shower, I zipped up my suitcase, put the last items in my backpack, and organized my room back into its original state. When I reached the second floor balcony, Vera was nowhere in sight. Walking through every room of the house, I concluded she was out-and-about running an errand. Having no clue what time Vera would return so I could have my check-out, I decided to catch a cab to take my stuff to the studio and return in the afternoon to drop off my key.

Housemate: Vanesa
Catching a cab was a fun experience. Standing out in the street on the corner of Humboldt and Soler with my entire luggage, I was bound to catch a cab, right? Well, after about five cabs passing me by, I started to wonder what I was doing wrong. Clearly, an American guy on the street waving his hand with a suitcase is a clear indicator, no? So I stepped out into the street further, and this time…BAM!...I caught the attention of a cab driver; finally.

“Puedes llevarme al Sinclair y Cervino, por favor?” And with the with the cab driver's verbal acceptance of  “Si” I just gave directions to a cab driver in Spanish! Even though it was a simple phrase, it was still a rewarding experience.

Heading up in the elevator which shows no mercy, I say this because it will close its doors even if you are in the way, I arrived at the fourth floor and entered my apartment. After 24 years, I finally have my own place. LOL!

Unpacking and doing a little cleaning, I was settled in. With the clock striking 3 pm, I felt Vera should be back at her place, so I walked the key back to her house. 

Goodbyes were said and emails were exchanged because I plan to stay in touch and visit her one last time before I head back to Iowa. I was also struck with some awe when she said, “This is your house.” (Meaning I can come back whenever.) Vera is simply an awesome lady!

US Embassy!
The rest of my afternoon consisted of scoping out my neighborhood. The main places I had interest in where supermarkets, bakeries, and restaurants; checking up on their selection and prices. I also ran across the US Embassy during my little neighborhood jaunt.


Practicing some more Spanish with Duolingo in the evening, I decided it was time to find a place for supper. Ugis was my answer, providing my starving stomach with a hamburger and fries and some banana chocolates for desert. LOL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment