Sunday, June 16, 2013

It was a Chili Type of Day



It was chili day in Buenos Aires, and no…that was not a misspelling of the word “chilly.” Today was Buenos Aires’s Annual Chili Cook-off competition in Recoleta. This event had over 25 participants who brewed up their own special version of chili, all competing for the title of champion. I was able to taste four chilies, with one of them being from co-worker Anish. Another one that s tried was a chili taking ingredients from Latin American places he traveled, with one of the unique ingredients being dried coconut leaf flakes. Everything was amazing except the venue because it was rather small and clustered. As the picture shows, it was difficult to move throughout the event because of all the people.


The cook-off was founded by chili loving ex-patriots who were looking for a little piece of home while doing some good. All proceeds of this event go towards a non-profit called SACS, Send a Child to School. Each year SACS helps children by providing them with a backpack containing essential supplies like notebooks, pencils, shoes, socks, etc., so the child in need can have a better chance for a successful education.

After the event I embarked on my journey back home. This entire weekend I was transported by the bus system. It was a grand experience, but I was constantly paranoid I might miss my drop-off point. I also had another experience today. I felt what Argentina rain feels like as I basically took a shower in it. Good thing my brother gave me water repellant jacket before I left because it was put to good use this afternoon!

As for my adventures last night, I met up with Brad, a Missouri ex-pat living life in good ol’ Buenos Aires. We had a great talk over pizza about his first experiences living abroad. It was kind of funny as our conversation was in English and Diego’s and their friend Celia?, spoke in Spanish. LOL. It was a great end to a Saturday night.

It’s time for me to toss in the towel on my third weekend and gear up for my third week down here; hopefully, starting Spanish classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment