Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy Flag Day!


Feliz Dia de la Bandera! (Happy National Flag Day!) This public holiday marked my first Argentinean holiday, and I was given the day off. Just like most national holidays in the US, a lot of places were closed today but a lot were still open.


My day started off Skyping with Steph and catching up on what was happening in the warm and humid city of Des Moines. Apparently places in Iowa hit 90 degrees today, while temps down here were in the low 50s.Please send some of that heat into the southern hemisphere. LOL!

After the first Skype session of the day, I decided to watch a few NetFlix shows. I couldn’t have done this without ya brotha Tony...thanks! Bored watching Netflix shows, I browsed the internet for news to catch-up on the latest happenings back home. Looks like fatal traffic crash numbers in Iowa have dropped significantly due to increased seat-belt use and speeding tickets. Way to go Hawkeye state!

Around mid-afternoon, I told myself it was time to venture out and get some fresh air; plus I haven’t had lunch yet. I walked around Palermo for about an hour and ended up near Jumbo, so I just had to make a quick walk around the store. It may sound weird, but it actually is one of my favorite pastimes. I think I enjoy looking at the differences when comparing Jumbo’s food selection to that of an American grocery store. Plus, I was scored a free drink of Fernet Menta...very good stuff!

Back at mi casa, I enjoyed a brief Skype session with Aunt Nancy and Aunt Patti, and then later with my dad. It's always nice to see what the family is doing. It was also great to have an email conversation with my mom today; sounds like everything is good on the home front.

My night’s plans were foiled a bit. I had intentions to hang out with the couchsurfing crew at Tip’s Bar, but when I arrived there was a private party going on. I was fine with this because not only did I save some dinero, but I made my way to Kentucky Pizzeria & Bar. They have great pizza, but every time I hear that name…KFC comes to mind. LOL

So there you have it, a pretty relaxed day in Argentina. (BTW...Kentucky pizza is definitely not Fong's pizza)

1 comment: