Monday, September 2, 2013

Yayoi Kusama @ MALBA!

Being bombarded with the smell of freshly brewed coffee as soon as I walked in the office door, I as caught off guard. Then it hit me, it could only mean one thing…Rachael is BACK!

Walking into the marketing office it was indeed the case because I was greeted with her cheerful and talkative personality.  Her vacation in the United States came to an end Friday as she finally returned to Buenos Aires.

Listening to many stories about her visit, and how she viewed the American culture after being gone for six months interested me. Will I notice what she did? Will I feel out of place or as if something is missing? For example, Rachael said forced kindness was definitely apparent in the checkout lines at supermarkets and she could not be tricked by the cashiers’ phony grins. Overall, it sounds like she had a great time and it was a bittersweet departure.

Since we decided to move Monopoly night from Monday to Thursday, I made a trip to the Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires, MALBA. Yayoi Kusama was on exhibit, and everyone who went to it was blown away by its shear awesomeness. I also was familiar with one of her interactive pieces because it was featured on a site called thisiscolossal.com. When it comes down to it, all I wanted to see was if it lived up to all of the hype it was receiving.

WOW! The exhibit was out of this world! It’s too bad I had to rush through because I arrived there at 6:45 and the museum closed at 8:00.  Just look at some of her pieces below. Let’s just say it reignited my creative drive.





No comments:

Post a Comment