Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Red Metro, Green Metro, Yellow Metro, NONE...Wait, What???

Before I get into the details of a rather interesting day (transportation wise), I will start off with a picture taken yesterday at the one and only, make your jaw drop, magnificent Duomo!
The Famous Duomo
Every major city has a public transportation system, and with every public transportation system there are workers who make the daily commute to and from work simple, smooth and easy. Well, at the same time those same workers have a powerful voice...and they sure know how to use it. Today, ATM (Azienda Trasporti Milanesi, Milan's public transportation provider) held a strike which crippled Milan. 

I got my first taste of the strike at about 9 am after I arrived at Lambrate Station to find the doors closed to the green metro line closed.  Apparently, this was an organized strike which lasted during the non-peak travel hours of 8:45am-3pm and 6pm-until shift end. I eventually made it to work early in the afternoon, but on the positive side, I had myself a nice cardio workout! 

My after work commute was a bit easier because I knew I had to be on the Metro by 6 pm. I found myself intermixed with hundreds of others trying to make it in time. To stay true to the blog name, I have to add a rural analogy in the story...picture trying to corral a heard of animals through a chute into the opening of a trailer...a lot of shoving and pushing, right? It was the same. However, despite the strike, no one was bent out of shape, no riots where caused, and life moved on. It just adds a little flair to the dynamics of the city...which I love!

I leave you with a video taken on the last ride home on the green line....







No comments:

Post a Comment