Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Bald Eagles in Central Iowa

There I was...a typical Generation Y messing around on my Samsung Galaxy S4 having the time of my life (sense the sarcasm lol), all until my attention was diverted by some particularly curious stares coming from the chair next to me.

"What's that out in the field?" Said the mom. "It looks like a big bird." (I could only hope she wasn't talking about the yellow one you can find on tv.) 

"Looks like there might be some white on that bird!" She shouted in excitement as she watched it take flight.

"Mom, it's probably a few crows or turkey vultures."

"Maybe, or it could be some eagles." Working herself out of the comfort of her chair, she made her way upstairs to grab the binoculars which were oddly in her room by the window facing our neighbor's direction  for reasons I don't nor want to know. (There might be a bit of fiction in that statement.) :-P

Standing by the window with the binoculars pressed against her face, she mentioned there wasn't just one but three of them and she is certain they are bald eagles. 

That alone was enough to spark the curiosity in me. At first glance I knew the birds were too large to be crows, but I wasn't ruling out the possibility of wild turkeys. As soon as I adjusted the binoculars for a clear image, there was no doubt...we had three bald eagles near our farm! 

This was the first time I've seen these majestic animals from the comfort of my home. It was a surreal moment. The next thing to do was to snap a few photos for documentation, so we could prove our claim to the nonbelievers. Here are some of the photos:




Doing a little research on the migration on bald eagles, I ran across these interesting websites:
  • For everything you ever wanted to know about bald eagles, check out this link.
  • To report your own bald eagle sightings, you better check out this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment