Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Rural Iowan Returns

D-Day has arrived; a bittersweet feeling actually. A part of me misses home, but another part of me will miss what I have created down in Buenos Aires.

Finishing up the rest of my packing early, gave me the time to get my hair cut at least one time in Argentina. The reason I waited so long was because I was scared I wouldn’t be able to communicate how I wanted to have it cut, and would have walked out of the barber shop without hair. LOL! (That was not the case, and everything went fine.)

 Immediately after my haircut, I went to have coffee one last time in Argentina with my Buenos Aires parents (Carlitos and Luisita LOL!) at Hotel Palermo. After a great conversation, I noticed how easily people can make a difference in the lives of others. They mentioned I was considered one of their children. Truly amazing people with big hearts. I hope to see you them in some fashion again.

Making it back to my studio, it was time for my check out. Passing with flying colors, I again had to hand keys over. That studio will always be special to me because it provided me with some of the best experiences I could have asked for; from being the first place I had to myself, to hosting social gatherings, to housing friends…it was the perfect place!

With my stuff loaded in the taxi, it was time to head to Buenos Aires’s major international airport, EZE. It took nearly 30 minutes to get there from my place, but that just goes to show you how massive the city is.

Once one the plane, I was on my way to Sao Paulo, Brazil. When I reached the airport, I had to be placed in the express line to get past airport security because my flight arrived later than anticipated. In the line, I had to chug the water in my reusable water bottle because there was no place to dump it out…worse part, it was practically full. LOL! Going through customs at Chicago was nerve racking. They were experiencing computer issues and that delayed everything; plus, I only had an hour layover. (And my luggage was MIA)

I finally landed in Des Moines, and was reunited with my mom and aunt in luggage claim (with no luggage). I was back in Iowa, with the best adventure of my life complete.

Update: My luggage arrived 1 am on Sunday morning…everything intact.


Update 2: The birthday package my friends sent me back in July was returned to sender arriving late October.

No comments:

Post a Comment